Monday, August 13, 2012

Wing-Back Chair Abridged Part 2

I am a full week behind schedule. I have no pictures for this post because I realized that every picture I had taken during the process of phase two...got deleted. I weep. 

Anyway, we'll keep it simple. 

Refresher: you should have removed all piping and painted your chair frame - leave the stuffing and fabric in place. 

So, what you need now is either a small nail or staple gun with an air compressor, fabric and scissors. What worked best for me was the start on the backside of my chair at the top and work out from there being sure to pull my fabric tight and secure it with staples as I went along.

Here's the link to Jenny's tutorial - much more involved  but it has some pictures of good starting points. 


It also worked just fine to cut a piece of fabric large enough to be trimmed to fit after stapling. This causes a bit more waste than I'd prefer, but it allowed me to have some wiggle room if I made a mistake in my measurements. A tip - the fabric you use needs to be pretty heavy duty or it will be torn by the staples since you aren't tucking it and securing it the way you would if you were a legitimate upholstery guru. 

I actually used a $5.00 sheet from a department store and it's held up fine but it required folding the edge multiple times to prevent tearing in the thin fabric.

At this point you just go to town covering up that original fabric on your chair and stapling the new fabric securely - avoid wrinkly loose fabric. 

Once you've covered your chair   we'll start on the piping... which I think I may have pictures for - I'm holding off on that portion because the finished product depends a lot on placing the piping correctly. Out of the whole project the piping is the most precise portion - say that 5 times fast. 

Be back in a jiffy with another tutorial! 






No comments:

Post a Comment