Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hot Yoga

Don't run away. 

I can't say my first impression of the phrase left me feeling entirely comfortable either. 

My aunt called me the other day and asked if I was up for a spur of the moment hot yoga class. Once she explained that what I was signing up for was yoga in a sauna, I was in.  

Because what better place is there to do vinyasas for an hour and fifteen minutes? 

So off I went to practice wrapping my legs around my neck while maintaining a relaxed disposition. 

Here are the things I learned at yoga class:

1. My routine sleeping position happens to double as a position in yoga. Therefore, I do yoga for hours on end. Obviously that means I'm super fit. 

2. Yoga works better with either a buzz cut or a ponytail. This short hair + sauna + downward facing dog does not equal yoga-chic. It equals hot mess. 

3.  A continuation of point #2...full length mirrors in a yoga classroom? Seeing my hair was enough to throw off my "stillness within" and that coupled with how red my face was made balance postures difficult. 

In light of my yoga experience, I decided to share a slightly embarrassing motivation I've started to use for exercising and clean eating. 



I get a dollar for every day I eat clean and stick to my exercise regime, I'm basically like one of Pavlov's dogs.

I'd be lying though, if I said that slowly filling up that mason jar with a dollar a day didn't fuel my desire to stick with what I started - and isn't that one of the hardest things to maintain? 

The initial get-up and go isn't what is so difficult for me, it's the stick to it  aspect that gets me every single time. 

So, yes. I plop down into my yoga-esque sleeping position and stick a $1.00 in the tip jar that lives on my nightstand every single night except for once a week when I have a cheat meal, and then I think about all the groovy crafts and pieces of furniture and art projects and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, and chocolate milkshakes, and super-size french fries those dollars will buy. 

Just kidding. 

I actually start thinking about skinny jeans which reminds me of those pajama jeans they were selling on TV last year which then makes me think of elastic waist bands which promptly puts me to sleep.  
_________________________________________________________________________________

Shift of focus...

I have a surprise. It's my new favorite toy. 

It still works without a hitch and it cost me under $10.00

Here's a peek...



It's a vintage radio cabinet and it is absolutely awesome. It also weighs half a ton which makes me wonder if I may be smuggling around stolen bricks for someone instead of two massive speakers built into a cabinet.

More to come on that later... 

Lastly - I'm tying up the loose ends on my wing-back chair redo part two and will have it up and running early next week. 

xoxo,

Rachael 
  



1 comment:

  1. UGH I did hot yoga once and that was enough for me. I also had hair too short for a ponytail at that time and you are not kidding about how wonderful that mess is. I actually just started a clean eating/exercise incentive thing for myself too! Except mine is a sticker chart. I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed that I have a sticker chart or that the sticker chart actually motivates me.

    ReplyDelete